Thursday, September 23, 2010

Getting out of my own way

I find myself wanting to revisit an older post, "Who are we really and what are we doing?" Here is an excerpt of what was written there:
  • Thoughts and actions
    • both useful and not useful
  • Notice choices
    • Awareness of making choices 
      • conscious choices
      • unconscious choices 
I can't help but be reminded of Buddhism here and ask, "Who or what is it that is doing all this noticing?" Noticing choices and actions is much like mindfulness meditation. Which leads to the next point that reminds me of Buddhism. 
 "Who or what is it that is doing all this noticing?" 
  • Where does mind end and body begin? 
  • Are they an inseparable pair influencing and affecting each others functioning? 
  • How much does my tense, crooked body affect my thoughts and decisions? 
  • How are choices made if my body is overwhelmed and frozen? 
  • What choices do I have and how many of these am I actually aware of?
  • How much of Alexander Technique is doing and how much is non-doing? 
  • What is added and what is simply left undone?
  • How will I know to get out of my own way if my choices and thoughts are so conditioned by the habit patterns instilled by a culture of sensory/information overload?
  • How will I know to get out of my own way if my choices and thoughts are so conditioned by a "modified startle pattern?"

No comments: