Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Muscling In On Awareness

I am really hooked on the idea and concept of Non-doing with Alexander Technique. I know that this isn't exactly part of our homework per say, but it is the direction from where I am come to this way of awareness that we are learning. I can really relate to not muscling in on this process, getting out of my own way and letting it happen. Letting my body teach me maybe is another way of saying all this.

There is a video that I saw that illustrates this in one way. This in in regards to posture. I am hooked on my posture especially, because my back hurts. Car accidents and various injuries have made my back very unhappy. If I don't try, and if I am not constantly aware of my posture, I will find my shoulders up around my ears and my lumbar in a knot.

As I was doing last weeks homework, I just couldn't get comfortable. I shift between sitting in a chair, an instability ball and lying on a couch. Once I saw the fellow in the video (at around 26:00) something clicked. Flow and use. I was thinking of posture in a static sense, which of course isn't a good idea. I hadn't given that much thought obviously.



Sitting on an instability ball is actually the most comfortable for me. I can sit for longer, because I am constantly shifting and in more of a flow. I didn't know this until now, though I did notice I was always moving around ever so slightly. There is so much to be aware of and so it is easy to drift off.

I think this is an example of non-doing. It is a case of "the tighter you clinch, the more it gets away." In my case I am after relaxation, economy of movement, and awareness. All of these are so easy to lose without constant mindfulness.

No comments: