Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Recieving support from the ground, marshmallow feet, barefoot running, and stuff

I hate running!!! Yet, the greatest discovery so far this week for me has been barefoot running. I have never in my life been motivated to run, but I have tried  this barefoot running and am pretty hooked. It is slow going for sure at first, but it confirms so many other things that I have been learning in my life, Alexander Technique being one of them.

Of course I am just beginig to learn about both of these ways of living and moving, and they seem to compliment each other beautifully. I find that with just a little bit of barefoot running, one's alignment begins to fix itself immediately. Pretty amazing!

I ran for about ten minutes one day, and a little less the next day, and have taken off a day to let my feet recover. My hips, spine, hands and feet have woken right up and have been sore in ways that I have never been sore. It seems to be a combo of my feet waking up and moving all around,  all the sensors on my feet sending new sensations and connections to new places all over my body, and the actual technique and structure that your body begins to take by running barefoot on a hard surface. It is nearly completely backwards from running in shoes.

As per barefoot running as related to Alexander Technique, the running starts turning your feet in to what we learned is a more helpful alignment, which continues its way up the skeleton, adjusting hips and things along the way. It definitely throws a wrench into your usual habit patterns, parking places, weight distributions and stuff like that.

So I am now even more aware of my parking places, weight distribution, habit patterns, tensions and collapses, and am hot in pursuit of chasing them out of my structure/posture. I love the idea of a relaxed posture and to receive support from the ground. It ain't happening yet! My days are to distracted and filled with busy madness. It comes Wednesday and I just now begin to think seriously about my homework and I remember how simple it really is and how much it could help me to chill. One of these days!

One last thought while reviewing class notes, "I wonder what is meant by communicating with your body to release tension."

Here's another barefoot running video:



and here is a video of a guy barefoot running, and everything else through the wilds!

No comments: